A New Kind Of Professional Development For Teachers: The 30 Goals Challenge
By Shelly Terrell
Over 9000 educators have joined the The 30 Goals Challenge since January 2010. Educators have the opportunity to join our community of educators each year as we aim to accomplish 30 short-term goals related to education. These are short-term goals we reflect on and see how they help us aim towards long-term goals to make us better educators. We support each other through various social networks, Facebook, YouTube, Google+, Twitter, and blogs.
Throughout the year, Shelly Terrell shares in the Teacher Reboot Camp blog and this Livebinder the new set of 30 goals through very short blog posts and videos. If you choose, you can accomplish the same 1 to 2 goals a week with many members of the community. We post reflections of the experience of accomplishing the goal in a blog or leave an update on Facebook or Twitter. We will collect your posts in this LiveBinder. We are currently in cycle 3 and have adopted the theme, Dare to Believe. Each goal will focus on getting educators to believe their plans of action will lead to positive change in their environments.
How Do You Participate?
You can choose to accomplish cycle 3′s 2012 goals, the 2011 goals, the 2010 goals, or a mixture of each. We begin cycle 4 on January 1, 2013. You can also choose to accomplish all the goals or a few of the goals or complete the chosen goals in any order you wish. You will find community members in all the social networks accomplishing different goals at their own pace. After accomplishing the goal, post your reflection of what you learned, how it impacted your teaching, and how it impacted your students by:
- adding a comment on the Teacher Reboot Camp blog (feel free to list any links related to your accomplishment of the goal)
- add a video blog as a response on The 30 Goals YouTube Playlist
- just record it off your webcam and tell us your thoughts!
- add updates to the 30 Goals Facebook group
- add updates to the 30 Goals Google+ page
- add a comment or link through Twitter using #30GoalsEdu as the hashtag
- Got a smartphone?
- Subscribe to the YouTube Channel then click your YouTube icon, go to more, and the most updated videos will be listed under Subscriptions!