by TeachThought Staff
In thinking recently of all of the different strands of digital citizenship–human, legal, media-based, technological, and so on–it occurred to me that citizenship online was really not much different than citizenship in person.
That is, it’s complicated.
Usually conversations around digital citizenship are limited to its most visible parts–cyberbullying, identity theft, drama, etc. But as the list below shows, digital citizenship is about mass human interaction and socialization of almost everything. That makes it a comprehensive topic too easily squeezed down into a simple 4 or 5-letter acronym or phrase.
Below is a kind of brainstorm of many of the components of digital citizenship, framed in an alpha blocks format. I used bold font for those that focused on actions of the students, while the other terms are there for context.
Big ideas include membership, self-awareness, and permanence. Let me know in the comments section what else we can add.
26 Bits & Pieces Of Digital Citizenship
- Access, Actuate, Anonymous, Accumulate, Addiction, Ambiguity, Awareness
- Behavior, Broadband, Balance, Blogging
- Cite, Contribute, Credit, Community, Courtesy, Creative Commons, Connect, Curate, Curiosity, Click
- Distraction, Disagree, Drama, Digital, Data
- Ecology, Ethical, Equity
- Friendship, Fair Use, Footprint, facebook
- Global, Google, Gadget, Gamify
- Habits, Honest, #hashtags, Hack, Hate Groups
- Introvert, IP address, Identity, Identify
- Juvenile, Judgmental, Join
- Knowledge, Kindness, Keep
- Literacy, Legal, License, Lurking, Log-In
- Mutual, Modesty, Membership, Media, Mash, Meme
- Network, Node, Navigate, Nigerian Prince
- Ourselves, Ownership, Observe, Offend
- Propriety, Publish, Purpose, Parenting, Permanent, Perspective, Phishing, Plagiarize, Password
- Question, Quora
- Respect, Research, Relate, Reddit, Remix
- Self-Monitor, Stewardship, Snapchat, Share, Save, Safety, Sarcasm, Superficial, Spam
- Time-Management, Tweet, Text, Transparency
- Understand, Use
- Visible, Value, Voice
- Whimsy, Wait, We, Wikipedia
- Yourself, YouTube, Youth
- Zero-tolerance for bullying
The ABCs of Digital Citizenship