New Law Designed To Inspire Female Students To Become Astronauts
by TeachThought Staff
On February 28, a bill designed produce ‘female astronauts, scientists, engineers, and innovators’ was signed into law.
The convenient acronym (Inspiring Next Space Pioneers Innovators Researches and Explorers) describes an idea first introduced by Rep. Barbara Comstock (Virginia) during the 115th United States Congress. The act requires NASA to create and present to Congress a plan to help diversify aerospace.
Inspiring the Next Space Pioneers, Innovators, Researchers, and Explorers (INSPIRE) Women Act
The president signed H.R. 321 into law on February 28th, 2017
H.R. 321 – Inspiring the Next Space Pioneers, Innovators, Researchers, and Explorers (INSPIRE) Women Act
Sponsored by Rep. Barbara Comstock
(Sec. 3) This bill directs the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) to encourage women and girls to study science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM), pursue careers in aerospace, and further advance the nation’s space science and exploration efforts through support of the following initiatives:
- NASA GIRLS and NASA BOYS;
- Aspire to Inspire; and
- Summer Institute in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Research.
(Sec. 4) NASA shall submit to Congress a specified plan on how NASA can best facilitate and support both current and retired astronauts, scientists, engineers, and innovators, including early career female astronauts, scientists, engineers, and innovators, to engage with K-12 female STEM students and inspire the next generation of women to consider participating in STEM fields and to pursue careers in aerospace.
You can read more about the law at congress.gov.
Other Laws Signed By The President In The Last 30 Days
- The president signed H.J.Res. 40 into law on February 28th, 2017
- H.J.Res. 40 – Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the rule submitted by the Social Security Administration relating to Implementation of the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007.
- Sponsored by Rep. Sam Johnson
- The president signed H.R. 255 into law on February 28th, 2017
- H.R. 255 – Promoting Women in Entrepreneurship Act
- Sponsored by Rep. Elizabeth Esty
- The president signed H.R. 609 into law on March 13th, 2017
- H.R. 609 – To designate the Department of Veterans Affairs health care center in Center Township, Butler County, Pennsylvania, as the “Abie Abraham VA Clinic.”
- Sponsored by Rep. Mike Kelly
- The president signed S. 442 into law on March 21st, 2017
- S. 442 – National Aeronautics and Space Administration Transition Authorization Act of 2017
- Sponsored by Sen. Ted Cruz
New Law Designed To Inspire Female Students To Become Astronauts; image attribution flickr user nasagoddard