There is a wealth of research to suggest that vocabulary knowledge is the single best predictor of student academic achievement across all curriculum areas. Experts agree, if given the opportunity to receive effective vocabulary instruction, most students can acquire vocabulary at rates that will improve their comprehension and also their chances for success in school. Even the Common Core identifies Academic Vocabulary as one of the six big shifts. It’s clear that educators need to spend some time teaching.
Why Vocabulary and Tech?
1. Wallwisher – Build a Digital Word Wall
2. ThingLink – Create Multimedia Vocabulary Launchers
ThingLink is a tool for creating interactive images that supports a variety of multimedia. Users can create multiple “hot spots” on specific parts of an image to build multimedia definitions that include video, images, audio, web links and more. Teachers can use ThingLink to create multimedia launchers to introduce students to vocabulary words and demonstrate meaning. Students can design their own interactive images to construct deep knowledge about the words as they are engaged in the process of building their own multimedia definitions.
3. Flashcard Stash – Build Vocabulary Cards
4. Google Presentation – Build Vocabulary Word Cards
- Video: Find and insert a video to illustrate the term using the handy feature that lets users preview and insert YouTube videos without leaving the presentation.
- Images: Find a copyright-friendly image or use the drawing tools available to draw directly on the slide to create a visual representation of the term.
- Definitions: Choose from a variety of dictionary tools to find a definition, then work with the others in your group to write a definition in your own words..